Skip to content

Donate Funds in Memory of Grizzly Bear — Not on Behalf of “Bear-Mauling Victim”

Steve Hillebrand/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

A grizzly bear was executed in Nome, Alaska, last month after defending himself from a trio of murderous, mouth-breathing rednecks. Unfortunately, so-called “bear-mauling victim” Wes Perkins — as described in a May 18 Anchorage Daily News headline — survived.

From a May 17 Anchorage Daily News story: “A grizzly bear mauled the former fire chief for the city of Nome during a weekend hunting trip … Wes Perkins had been tracking the bear with friends on snowmachines Sunday east of the Seward Peninsula city when the big grizzly charged, according to Alaska State Troopers. Perkins’ companions shot and killed the animal during the attack.”

Alaska State Troopers Information Officer Megan Peters was quoted in the May 17 Anchorage Daily News story as saying: “We have no indication that it was anything other than a tragic hunting accident.”

Really?

Mr. Perkins being “mauled” by the grizzly bear he and his hillbilly friends set out to murder was neither “tragic” nor was it an “accident.”

I, too, would have taken a pound of flesh from Mr. Perkins had he and his bloodthirsty hunting buddies tried to take my life.

The bear’s execution, at the hands of unevolved assassins determined to kill — and no doubt hell-bent on avenging the animal’s “attack” on Mr. Perkins — is tragic.

Ms. Peters’ use of the word “accident” must have been a suggestion that the bear hadn’t been told to just stand there and make a good target for the hunters’ bullets.

Adding insult to the bear’s memory is the fact that money is being raised on Mr. Perkins’ behalf.

From a May 17 KTUU-TV story: “An account for Perkins’ family has been set up by the Nome Volunteer Fire Department at Credit Union 1. All donations will be transferred directly to his family.”

Today, I’m encouraging you, dear reader, to make a donation, in the grizzly bear’s memory, to Defenders of Wildlife. One way to do so is to “Adopt a Brown Bear.”

68 Comments

1. Scott Kane wrote:

“David Brensilver is a classically trained connoisseur of successful animal-on-human attacks.”

classically rewritten to read;
    “David Brensilver is a phuggin douche bag.”

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
  2. Scott Babcock wrote:

You are an asshole.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
  3. David Brensilver wrote:

Mr. Babcock,

You’ve got to give me more to work with. You’re not the first person to call me an asshole and you won’t be the last.

Feel free to elaborate on your most compelling comment.

Yours (yawning),

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink
  4. David Brensilver wrote:

Mr. Kane,

You’re about as clever as a lobotomy patient.

Try again. And get a dictionary.

I’ll look forward to reading your next attempt.

Until then, I remain, unimpressed.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
  5. Michael wrote:

I love it! As always.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink
  6. David Brensilver wrote:

Thank you, Michael.

I appreciate it.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
  7. Michael wrote:

The only accident in this case was this conception of Wes Perkins. Snowmobiles and rifles against an unarmed unevolved animal? And when the animal defends it’s territory it’s classified as an attack? I’m sorry, did I miss the part where the animal entered the Perkins’ house?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
  8. Scott Babcock wrote:

You need more to work with? I found this garbage you try to pass off as writing and felt compelled to comment that whatever you may think you are or how clever you try to come across in your article the fact remains your an asshole.
    I’d like very much to see you in the wilderness of the Seward Peninsula and see how you fared in a similar situation.
    You try to use humor and smart ass remarks and comments about a situation you obviously know nothing about. From the comfort of your home in Connecticut you have your little following smirking as they read your garbage. I guess I don’t really have anything else to add other than wondering what it must be like to go through life being such an ignorant arrogant asshole. I really do wonder. At least you have your computer to keep you company because I’m sure no logical human being could stand more than five minutes in the company of such a pompous annoying man as yourself.

Friday, June 3, 2011 at 3:54 am | Permalink
  9. David Brensilver wrote:

Michael,

I would say that Mr. Perkins and his hillbilly hunting buddies are much less evolved than any of the other species they set out to murder.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
  10. David Brensilver wrote:

Scott,

Regarding your interest in seeing me “in the wilderness of the Seward Peninsula” to see how I might fare “in a similar situation,” I can promise you that I’ll never be in a “situation” similar to the one in which Mr. Perkins found himself.

I have a healthy respect for nature and would never set out to murder a grizzly bear or a member of any other species.

Unevolved people like Mr. Perkins and his hunting buddies are among those who believe that humans are entitled to hold dominion over other animal species. I don’t share their opinion. Therefore, I celebrate when a measure of karma is added to the balance.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
  11. Mark wrote:

Scott. If you believe David is an asshole, that’s fine. However, I don’t really see where David showed ignorance or lack of logic. Bears, being mammals, as I am sure you are aware, have the same limbic systems as us and the limbic system processes most emotions. The hunters were attempting to shoot an animal that has the capacity to suffer physically and emotionally. Therefore, empathy toward the bear would be a logical response. And anger at hunting might be a logical response, provided you value the animals life at all. Now, whether the hunter deserved what he intended to inflict is a matter of opinion, but such conclusions don’t seem illogical. Therefore, logical people are likely ok around Mr. Brensilver. Don’t try to make an illogical argument about logic. It makes you sound silly. As does your random prejudice about CT.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
  12. Mark wrote:

I am always amazed at how seemingly unaware people become, and how pompous and self-righteous they sound, when they begin to judge others from the safety and comfort of their towers far removed – previously “civilized” – from that which was once wilderness. Wes Perkins is a good man. Lack of sympathy for his condition, and criticism of his actions, hardly recommends one’s own humanity. But perhaps that’s the whole point?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 1:36 am | Permalink
  13. Mark wrote:

Another way to look at this for those of “tender heart” as it relates to bears, is that the death of this large boar means that more young bears can survive. Yes, unlike humans which, as bad as it is, sometimes get sex for pay, bears will kill the young so that the sow will come into estrus again and can be bred. (And not without cost to the defending mothers sometimes either.) In other words, they kill for sex. In this case less is more.

You might be money ahead by seeking donations on behalf of the numerous cubs soon to be killed by mature male bears.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
  14. David Brensilver wrote:

Mark,

Your declaration that Wes Perkins “is a good man” does not make it so, and the offense you take at my disagreement is simpleminded, as is your suggestion that geography and relative safety and comfort have anything to do with the basis of my opinion. I place great value on what’s left of our wilderness, and I loathe those who rape it in the interests of personal or corporate Manifest Destiny.

Humanity, Mark, is the problem. I have no sympathy for Mr. Perkins or anyone else who suffers injury in the process of murdering a member of another animal species.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink
  15. David Brensilver wrote:

Mark,

I’ll let nature take care of itself, and I’ll continue to rail against humans who commit crimes against other animal species.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink
  16. Bushman wrote:

You are choosing to ignore one mammals (bears) murdering ways and then judge another mammals (human) with hatred. I belive you are so caught up with your stance your unwilling to see it but you are certainly ignoring the fact that animals do kill other animals for the same motivations humans do. Territory, food, sex ect ect.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
  17. Bushrat wrote:

Ran across this link from an Alaska outdoors site I view.

Just have to say to David that no rational thinking person I know, whether s/he is a vegan, vegetarian, or subsistence hunter (as I am) would agree that what happened to Wes Perkins was not tragic in many ways.

And the ridiculous bombastic false analogy you use, David, that you would have taken a pound of flesh from Mr. Perkins had he and his buddies tried to take your life…anthropomorphism only goes so far.

Where is the line, David? Checking the fishnet to feed the family, the fisherman falls in and gets trapped in the net and drowns and you are jumping with glee and expounding upon how had that fisherman tried to murder you you’d have taken a pound of flesh?

C’mon, by all means expound on your ontological viewpoints here and how they really make sense. Good luck.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink
  18. mark wrote:

There seems to be a little debate going on as to whether or not David B. is ignorant. Well, I can point out at least one example of his ignorance; the correct definition of “murder” is the killing of a person -in other words, homicide-. To call the killing of an animal, murder, does show ignorance. When a male brown bear kills a brown bear cub so that he can mate the sow is that considered “murder” or homicide? of course not. If you doubt this look it up in any reputable dictionary. Mark

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink
  19. John wrote:

It is horrible that you can write filth such as this, then proceed to ask for “donations” on behalf of the bear, and probably receive some. Do your supporters believe that this money will go somewhere other than your pocket? Do everyone a favor and reveal yourself for what you really are David Brensilver, a criminal, who does not really care about the bear, but has found himself a clever way to play peoples feelings and beliefs for his own financial gain.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
  20. Drew wrote:

David,

In one of your above comments you write, “I will let nature take care of itself.” Does that exclude us, the human, from nature? Many people hunt for subsistence to feed, clothe, and care for their family, much like a predator in the wild does. We happen to use more evolved processes, and live a more evolved life than the basic predator; but does that exclude us from being a part of nature? Seems to me you are against hunting in its entirety, which I believe makes you ignorant and careless.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
  21. David Brensilver wrote:

Bushman,

You are correct. I am judging humans.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink
  22. David Brensilver wrote:

Bushrat,

Please explain the “many ways” in which Mr. Perkins being injured by a grizzly bear was tragic.

My viewpoint shouldn’t be difficult to understand. I don’t place a higher value on human life than I do the lives of other animal species. When rednecks like Mr. Perkins and his hunting buddies set out — armed and riding “snowmachines,” as described by the Anchorage Daily News — to kill a bear against whom the odds of survival in those circumstances are stacked, I root for the bear. And when the bear (who, in this case, was killed), in self-defense, injures or kills one of his pursuers, I like to think that a measure of karma has been added to the balance.

The death of the fisherman in your hypothetical example strikes me as a case of natural selection.

Bombastically,

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink
  23. David Brensilver wrote:

Mark,

Call it artistic license. I choose to place the same value on the lives of non-human animal species that I do the lives of humans, just as I choose to refer to non-human animals as “he” or “she” and not “it.”

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink
  24. Pilgrim wrote:

The coolest thing about brown bear hunting is how hard it is to kill them. You have to stick with it and have plenty of bullets, or you run the risk of …

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink
  25. David Brensilver wrote:

John,

If your eyes weren’t so close together you would have noticed that I provided links, at the end of this post, to pages on the Defenders of Wildlife website through which people can make donations to that organization.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink
  26. Bushrat wrote:

Perkins was in critical condition in an induced coma, his family was not sure if he would live or die, now it appears he will likely lose an eye, not sure what other permanent injuries he will have, all tragic imo in many ways.

Root for the bear, that is your prerogative, but to state in your post that it was unfortunate that Perkins survived the attack shows a complete lack of empathy and respect for his family and friends and a a cruel and vindictive nature within yourself.

You believe in karma, well then please accept that you can’t just say these type of things on your blog without some measure of karmic justice coming back your way.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
  27. John wrote:

Yes I did see the links, I also clicked on them and saw where they went. Just because the links don’t say “David Brensilver’s checking account” doesn’t mean that it’s not where all or some of that money will end up. Those of us who understand wildlife management, as well as hunt respectfully, also understand that monetary donations to animal rights organizations are basically just salaries for executives and associates of such organizations, and I am confident you are somehow affiliated. That is why wildlife research is always funded and performed by state and federal departments, they actually spend money on it. That is to say, the research that I see happening here in Alaska, since I am a lifelong Alaska resident, with an idea of how things work here, and with a grip on reality.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink
  28. David Brensilver wrote:

Bushrat,

Can you point to an outpouring of empathy for the deceased bear?

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink
  29. David Brensilver wrote:

John,

I am in no way affiliated with Defenders of Wildlife.

You should have less confidence in yourself.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink
  30. David Brensilver wrote:

Pilgrim,

There is nothing cool about brown bear hunting.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  31. Scott Babcock wrote:

I thought this Brensilver was an asshole. Now I’m sure of it.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 4:16 am | Permalink
  32. mark wrote:

David,
    I might suggest that before you judge others you take a little look at yourself. I see in the photo of you that you’re sitting on a hardwood floor (looks like oak, and don’t try to tell me it’s a faux finish). How many bird nests and baby birds died when that grove of oaks where cut down? I also see that you smoke. Do you have any idea the chemicals and other pollutants the tobacco industry puts into the environment. I’m just guessing that you live in a very unnatural, urban environment, and have a much larger carbon footprint than many of the people you rail against, you know, those “mouth breathing hill billies”. I’ll bet many if not most of them have a much better understanding of the natural environment since many of them actually live in it.
    Mark

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink
  33. David Brensilver wrote:

Scott,

Congratulations.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink
  34. David Brensilver wrote:

Mark,

I “see” that you could use a dictionary. (Yes, I know, paper comes from trees.) “Hillbilly” is one word.

The hardwood floor I’m sitting on was installed more than 160 years ago. I have no way of knowing how many birds’ nests might have been destroyed or how many baby birds might have died when the trees were cut down.

I can tell you that I no longer smoke.

Were Mr. Perkins and his hunting buddies riding environmentally friendly “snowmachines” (as described by the Anchorage Daily News) when they set out to kill a grizzly bear last month?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
  35. Karen wrote:

“I’m sorry, did I miss the part where the animal entered the Perkins’ house?”

Yes, Michael, apparently you did. You see it’s quite obvious to all but animal ‘rights’ crack pots that the wilderness is just as much ours as it is the animals. Do you actually believe concrete cities are our natural habitat?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink
  36. David Brensilver wrote:

Karen,

The problem is that many dim-witted humans don’t believe in sharing.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink
  37. mark wrote:

David,
    I’ve noticed that you seem to enjoy trying to belittle people based on their spelling. Hay, what ever flotes your bote. I’d rather be critiqued on content. I realized though that you’re probably way more educated than us hill billies.
    Mark

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink
  38. Geo wrote:

Bet you wont print this because its true

I,m willing to bet all I have… you take it up the ass.. and enjoy it. Aids will get you were all patient

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink
  39. Geo wrote:

see……….

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink
  40. Russ Burnard wrote:

Mr. Brensilver is typical of those concrete jungle dwelers who judge those of us who eat from the woods and share the remains of what we kill with the bear although he dosen’t share his fare with us. Our lifestyle is far closer to nature than he will ever understand. Because of there ignorance of our lifestyle there argument is as as uneducated as an argument of a Math professor witrh a bugger eating moron.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink
  41. David Brensilver wrote:

Geo,

You should bet all you have on your supposition and prediction.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink
  42. David Brensilver wrote:

Geo,

That is quite profound.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink
  43. David Brensilver wrote:

Russ Burnard,

I’m surprised that you are able to type with your knuckles dragging on the ground.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink
  44. John wrote:

Last year while I was at work, on the north slope, the oilfield, uh oh……. My co-workers and I watched a grizzly bear slaughter a mother Musk-ox, who was with two babies, about 250 yards from the back of our shop. He took her down violently, with brute force. Several times he attempted to chase down her young and kill them too, but each time he turned away the mother would move and he would have to go back and attempt to finish her off. After roughly 20 minutes of this the young were well out of danger and the mother was dead for sure, so the bear went off behind a grassy mound to watch her for a while…about two hours. He then came back to enjoy her, which was almost as gruesome as the killing. Her young were flown to the wildlife refuge near Portage Glacier, which is operated by some wonderful and smart biologists/hunters. Im still looking for an article written by animal rights concious grizzly bears, chastising their own kind for doing what is in their nature.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink
  45. Jane Silver wrote:

Why were these men hunting the bear? For sport? Do you people in Alaska eat bear meat? I’ve never heard of such a thing, but would be interested in knowing why you 3 would stalk such a creature.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
  46. John wrote:

Yes Jane, in many parts of rural Alaska bear meat is the only source of fat people can obtain when living a subsistence lifestyle, as caribou and moose are quite lean, and it’s too fat to the coast to get a seal or whale. That’s fat is important as it gets quite cold in those places. Yes, some do hunt for sport, and that is a personal choice, not open for judgement by any of us. Regardless of the claim I read on the defenders of wildlife website, there is no shortage of bears in Alaska, they are nowhere near endangered.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink
  47. David Brensilver wrote:

John,

Good luck with that.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink
  48. David Brensilver wrote:

Jane,

Something tells me that you won’t be satisfied with any response you might receive.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
  49. Scott Babcock wrote:

David, your still an asshole. An immature arrogant and ignorant asshole….but nevertheless an asshole.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
  50. David Brensilver wrote:

Scott,

Thanks for the reminder.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 9:01 am | Permalink
  51. Chris wrote:

If you are going to hunt for sport, don’t expect sympathy if you get mauled.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 12:24 am | Permalink
  52. David Brensilver wrote:

Chris,

The Daily Maul is definitely not the place for mauled hunters to look for sympathy.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink
  53. Marty wrote:

The paper left the part out where her got off of the snowmobile to take the bears picture and that is when it attacked him. The writer of this article is correct and should be commended for writing this. Chasing a bear and trying to run it into th eground, the take its photo, then kill it is assinine. When the bear attacked that is to be expected. Hope the gerber baby food tastes good. Next time do not taunt what you are trying to kill. Also, there are no rednecks in Nome. They must be something else. Rednecks are from the south. Do not insult rednecks comparing this idiot (wes) to a redneck.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 2:09 am | Permalink
  54. David Brensilver wrote:

Marty,

I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who sets out to murder a bear (or any other animal species) and gets attacked while trying to take a photograph.

Thanks for your kind words — and for letting me know that Nome has no redneck population.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink
  55. Sara Bowman wrote:

David. You have no idea of the kind of man that Wes Perkins is and the kinds of things he does for his community.

You want to call hunters inhumane??? You are “hoping” that members of your own species die by another species?! What does that make you?? Other than a little psychotic.

You should keep your opinions about specific people to yourself. Either that or share your opinions with some real bears here in AK. I’m sure they would treat you kindly.

Monday, August 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink
  56. David Brensilver wrote:

Sara,

You should keep your opinions about me to yourself. To suggest that I’m even a “little psychotic” reveals that you have absolutely no idea what kind of man I am.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink
  57. scott babcock wrote:

By the way Dave, fuck you.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink
  58. David Brensilver wrote:

Scott,

(Yawn.)

Monday, October 3, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink
  59. bob wrote:

The bear was killed while in the process of trying to kill the human victim, right? So that’s not avenging anything… This was not a case of revenge. This was a case of a bear being killed while in the actual process of killing a person, in order to SAVE THE PERSON’S LIFE. Please get your story straight before responding to it with such self-riteous judgement.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 8:06 am | Permalink
  60. bob wrote:

Also,
    It if funny that you chastise other commenters for making public their opinions about someone they know only one thing about. Is that not exactly what your post is? An unjust and uninformed judgement about a man you have never met? As a long-time vegetarian, I am constantly sadened to read sludge such as you put on the web, as it paints the entire envirometnalist/animal rights community as a bunch of human-hating wack jobs and prevents people from thinking about what otherwise might be some valid points you may have to make. You simply come off as crazy. Which is too bad, because there is certaintly some irony in this story. Sad irony…not angry, judgemental, jerk irony.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink
  61. David Brensilver wrote:

Bob,

Please get your facts straight. The May 17, 2011, edition of the Anchorage Daily News reported: “Wes Perkins had been tracking the bear with friends on snowmachines Sunday east of the Seward Peninsula city when the big grizzly charged, according to Alaska State Troopers.”

This was a case, to borrow your language, of a hunter being killed while in the actual process of hunting a bear. The bear, if I need to explain further, was defending his or her life from the deadly threat that Perkins and his hunting buddies posed.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  62. David Brensilver wrote:

Bob,

I didn’t need to meet Mr. Perkins to rail against the absurd claim that his injuries were suffered during “a tragic hunting accident,” which is how Alaska State Troopers Information Officer Megan Peters described the incident in the May 17, 2011, edition of the Anchorage Daily News.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink
  63. Bruce wrote:

It was a tragic hunting accident.Hopefully Wes Perkins makes a full recovery.God gave us domain over animals as food and clothing.God also gave us humans souls.Animals do not have souls.People can go to heaven as animals can not.To put animals equal to and above people are going against Gods wishes and that person will have to answer to God for it.Jesus made one fish into many to feed a crowd of people.It was not tomatoes.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink
  64. David Brensilver wrote:

Bruce,

I don’t value human life over that of any other species, and I don’t answer to anybody — especially some tired fairy-tale character.

I don’t believe in magic, Bruce, and you shouldn’t either.

Monday, December 12, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink
  65. Inge wrote:

Hi David,
    I’m your biggest fan! I fully share your opinion. I am not native English so please forgive me my spelling mistakes, if any ;-)

Please keep on doing what you do.

Inge

Monday, December 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink
  66. David Brensilver wrote:

Inge,

Thanks for the kind words.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink
  67. Another Alaskan wrote:

What kind of douche even writes an article like this. You don’t have to agree with the legal action the hunters were doing and can even oppose it. But to willfully wish them death, etc.. because you value an animals life vs humans. I hope a freaking bear gets ahold of you, then well see what you write… Freaking scum of the earth..

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 12:08 am | Permalink
  68. David Brensilver wrote:

Another Alaskan,

The hypocrisy of your position betrays an uncivilized narrow-mindedness.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink