Skip to content

Hunter Killed by Buffalo in Zimbabwe

Photo by Nevit Dilmen

The good news is that an African — or Cape — buffalo recently killed a hunter in Zimbabwe. The bad news is that the buffalo died defending himself.

According to a report in The Daily Telegraph, “A British man working as a professional hunter on a private game reserve in Zimbabwe has been killed by a wounded buffalo he was trying to shoot. Owain Lewis, 67, had been tracking the animal for three days to finish it off after it was shot and injured by a visiting American hunter he was escorting.”

Paul Smith, whose business, Chifuti Hunting Safaris, helps impotent Neanderthals feel powerful by visiting death on other species, was quoted in The Daily Telegraph story as saying, “It was a very tough fight. Owain’s neck was broken but the apprentice did manage to kill the buffalo.”

No, Mr. Smith, it was not “a very tough fight.” It was a senseless murder that didn’t go according to Mr. Lewis’ bloodthirsty plan.

“It is a tragedy,” Mr. Smith told The Daily Telegraph, presumably referring to Mr. Lewis’ brutal death.

What is tragic, Mr. Smith, is that magnificent creatures suffer violent deaths at the hands of savage men seeking spiritual and financial reward.

23 Comments

  1. martin broadbent wrote:

    I take great pleasure knowing this despicable coward has gone to the worms in eternal Hell :0)

    Friday, June 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  2. David Brensilver wrote:

    Martin,

    It’s a shame that the buffalo wasn’t able to dispatch the American subhuman, too.

    David

    Friday, June 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
  3. JOSEPH CARRIERE wrote:

    Is it to be assumed that you and your followers are also pro death when confronted with the abortion issue. Thinking of a more innocent or more “magnificent creature” than the defenseless human yet to be born would be to deminish ones very humanity, at least following your way of thinking.
    GOD BLESS
    Joe

    Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
  4. David Brensilver wrote:

    Joseph,

    A human life does not hold more value, to me, than that of another species. Quite the opposite, in fact, to my “way of thinking.”

    You’ve diminished the strength of your argument by narrowing the very definition of “humanity” to a species-specific meaning.

    I’ll pass on any blessings your “god” may have for me.

    David

    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink
  5. Mike McGhinnis wrote:

    Wow David, you people really are nuts! I am curious as to whether you will reveal your position on abortion. Have you or anyone in your organization ever lifted one finger to stop an innocent unborn child from having it’s skull penetrated and then being sucked out of the womb? Probably not, most likely because they are evil human babies and not cute little animals. Your hate speech is your free right but it, as well as you, disgust me.

    I will pray for the family of the killed hunter as well as for you David, because your rejoicing in his death makes me think that you need it.

    Joseph – I’m with you all the way man!

    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink
  6. David Brensilver wrote:

    Mike,

    I don’t believe that a human life is any more precious than that of another species. Quite the opposite, in fact.

    David

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink
  7. debra h strother wrote:

    Why do you bother writing to us mere humans? We must be beneath your superior life. Your last comment says it all.

    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink
  8. David Brensilver wrote:

    Debra,

    Some humans are more evolved than others.

    David

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink
  9. Dan Flowers wrote:

    Owain Lewis was a friend. I’d like to meet you sometime so I can tell you about him. It might re-color some of your black & white worldview. Or you can just continue your ignorant and spineless tirades from the safety of your computer, while reveling in your own intellectual omnipotence.

    Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink
  10. David Brensilver wrote:

    Dan,

    You’re a long way from the moral high ground, my friend.

    David

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  11. Dan Flowers wrote:

    No, Mike, I am sure David has never tried to stop abortion because he favors human population control for the benefit of animals. Not a position I entirely disagree with on all levels, but I prefer birth control to abortion for obvious humanitarian reasons. I find it ironic that it never occurs to the screaming fanatics calling for human population control to get together, have a circle-jerk and all kill themselves. It is the only way they will ever make any real headway towards their goal, since the rest of the world doesn’t take them seriously and never will. So, David, step up and make a difference. I know you don’t own a gun because they are evil, but I am sure you can find some tall buildings there in Connecticut. Put your money where your mouth is. You won’t. Because you are a small, shrill man, full of hate looking for an outlet, and a lot of attention… for people to stroke your ego and reinforce you for your wit and intellect. I have news for you. We aren’t buying it. I think we have given you too much attention as it is. Good luck with the population control. Hope it is painless.

    Friday, August 17, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink
  12. David Brensilver wrote:

    Dan,

    I hope to be alive long enough to welcome the arrival of mankind’s extinction, at which point I’ll be more than happy to leave this tortured planet.

    David

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
  13. Dan Flowers wrote:

    Or not…

    Friday, August 17, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink
  14. Dan Flowers wrote:

    David, please don’t call me your “friend”. I actually don’t think that anyone with your level of mania would give anyone the warm fuzzies by calling them that. Save it for the other reality-challenged who follow your tripe. Oh, wrong word. You would not approve of “tripe”. Too bad I like it. Quite tasty.

    Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink
  15. David Brensilver wrote:

    Dan,

    What you admit to “liking” betrays your cretinism.

    David

    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink
  16. John Mabayoje wrote:

    You are a piece of garbage…..writing ignorant despicable human being.

    Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink
  17. David Brensilver wrote:

    John,

    Please try again — in complete sentences, please.

    David

    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink
  18. John Wright wrote:

    Man has hunted for thousands of generations, how fortunate that you are here to declare that this is the generation that makes it evil.

    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
  19. John Wright wrote:

    Please keep up the good work. I find it much more exciting to hunt cape buffalo after reading your bullshit

    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
  20. Dale wrote:

    Glad the hunter was killed. I hope he suffered. Too bad the other coward wasn’t killed, also.

    Saturday, August 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
  21. Graydon wrote:

    David,
    Owain was a good man. Perhaps you didn’t know this, but Owain, along with all other legal hunters, help save these magnificent animals from extinction. Much of the money from gun, hunting gear, and hunting fees go to wildlife reservations and funds for endangered animals. Hunters who obey the laws, who are the vast, vast majority, are in fact helping more animals than they kill.
    On another front, in Africa, all of the meat and bones from hunted animals, except for the skull, go to local villages so that they can have something to eat. I don’t beleive I recall any anti-hunters doing anything besides send a dollar or two to these villages. I hope that this information sheds some new light on our side of the subject.
    I also ask that you remove some of the negativity from this site. Think about Owain’s family. If his grandchildren wanted to know more about their grandfather, I would sincerely hope that they would not find this site and see so much negativity toward their grandfather.

    Graydon

    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Permalink
  22. Jeff wrote:

    How do you hunters justify “legal” hunts? Killing an animal, whether it’s legal or illegal means one less animal irregardless of legality. I cannot write about the tragedy of losing one of your own friends with any real empathy, it’s more of the world righting itself, albeit in a very small way. If you put yourself out there, maybe dying doing what you love isn’t the worst way to go… It certainly added fuel to a heated battle. As God told Peter, live by the sword, die by the sword.

    Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
  23. Mike wrote:

    Hunting is so natural for most people i mean if you eat meat then you should not have a problem with hunters, this was very unfortunate for the man that was killed but Farms offer organised hunts, these Animals are bred so they are not at risk of being extinct and they know exactly how many we can let hunters kill. I’m no professional I’m just a hunter but this is a sport and it has been made legal so we are not breaking any laws, people should actually realise that the money that hunters pay to hunt animals actually help with conservation efforts to save animals that are at the brink of extinction! what are you doing to help?
    Get the facts from Game BBreeders
    they might be able to educate you on what is really going on we are not the bad guys here

    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*