Skip to content

Man Shot in Face Trying to Slaughter Pig

Sometimes, karma singles someone out and gets right in his face. Such was the case of a California man who ate a .22 caliber bullet instead of feasting on the pig he was trying to slaughter.

An October 13 CBS 13 (Sacramento) news story explained that “it started as a pig slaughter and ended with a man getting shot in the face by his older brother. Investigators say the pig bucked and the rifle went off. Police say the brothers were trying to slaughter the pig for a party, but instead of enjoying that family party, the family is gathering to support each other as they pray for their loved one.”

The pig’s would-be murderer did not survive the shooting, according to a CBS 13 news update, which tells us that “the Sacramento County Coroner’s website identifies the victim as 28-year-old Koua Vang.”

And while CBS 13 saw fit to report that Vang had died, the news outlet has failed to let us know the fate of the pig, indicating in its initial report that “it’s … unclear just what happened to the pig, and if the slaughter was successful.”

It would be naïve to blame this dismissal on journalistic oversight, especially given the fact that the pig’s well-being was only addressed in the penultimate sentence of the original CBS 13 report.

In the news video provided above, CBS 13 reporter Derek Shore portrays the then-critically wounded Vang as “the apparent casualty of a future meal.”

In his off-camera voice-over, Shore describes the incident as “a pig slaughter gone terribly wrong.”

And in closing, CBS 13 news anchor Ron Jones says, “Hopefully, the victim’s going to be OK.”

I hope that the intended victim is OK.

Clearly, Shore and Jones lack the kind of sophistication required to report this story accurately. The intended victim, of course, was the pig, who would undoubtedly disagree – if he was able to avoid becoming another forgotten casualty of man’s arrogant barbarism – that the slaughter had “gone terribly wrong.”

8 Comments

1. Dan Flowers wrote:

Damn. They must have been doing that WAY wrong. Never happened to me when I was slaughtering a pig or anything else… Besides, the proper way to slaughter a pig is to knife it behind the ear and down to sever the carotid artery. The meat is better if you let them bleed out instead of killing them with a shot to the head.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink
  2. David Brensilver wrote:

Dan,

You give abortion a good name.

David

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink
  3. Dan Flowers wrote:

Oh yeah, if you ARE going to shoot them, just give them some food, and place your shot perpendicular to the skull to prevent ricochets.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink
  4. David Brensilver wrote:

Dan,

Sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the sound of your knuckles dragging.

David

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink
  5. Matt McGuire wrote:

It seems to me that theres a point being made here, Im just not sure what it is. Are you suggesting that the horrific tragedy of a mans accidental death is somehow justified because he was trying to slaughter a pig to eat it. So you are insinuating that anyone who eats meat which came from an animal who was slaughtered deserves to be shot. You remind me of the people who cheer for dead soldiers you weak, limp wristed, pathetic excuse for a human being. Wake up and get of your self constructed high horse and perhaps be concerned about something that really matters, like your own twisted morality. I hope that someday you wake up and see what a waste your life has been, and I hope someone like me is there to help you get back on track and actually make a differnce. Because no matter how many pigs you save, it wont save your soul…

Thursday, October 25, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink
  6. David Brensilver wrote:

Matt,

Yes, Matt. I am suggesting that Koua Vang got exactly what he deserved.

I’ll stop “wasting” my life when humans stop wasting the lives of other species.

David

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink
  7. Dan Flowers wrote:

Oh my God,David! Gasp… You are so incredibly witty! You are KILLING me! Hahahahahaha… Please keep it up! You have the callouses on my knuckles positively tingling!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
  8. David Brensilver wrote:

Dan,

Those aren’t callouses. They’re pieces of fossilized primordial muck.

David