Skip to content

Protest Song Condemns “Squirrel Slam,” Supports Animal-Rights Group

The Daily Maul presents “A Holleycaust Story,” a protest song that condemns “Squirrel Slam,” the annual squirrel-killing contest in Holley, New York, in which local Neanderthals participate for a chance to win guns and cash. The killing contest is a fundraising event for the Holley Fire Department, whose slogan might as well be “saving lives through slaughter.” Proceeds from sales of “A Holleycaust Story” will be donated to the good folks at Friends of Animals who’re working to put an end to this and other heinous killing contests.

For your singing-along pleasure, here are the lyrics to “A Holleycaust Story”:

In the backwoods of Orleans County
The locals kill squirrels for the chance at bounties
Bring your son, bring your daughter
The fire department’s saving lives through slaughter
Activists promised to fill their coffers
But the town fathers have rejected their offers

The chance to kill for guns and cash
(“Squirrel Slam”)
So appealing to the murderous white trash
(Shoot, boom, bam)
The dominant religion’s Evangelical Barbarism
Which Neanderthals wear like a badge

In Holley, they live in the primordial ooze
Try to pull them out and they’ll proudly refuse
They march their savage culture through the streets of the town
No interest in a view from the higher moral ground
When an activist said, “Take our blood-free money”
Town fathers told her, “Go hug a tree, honey”

The chance to kill for guns and cash
(“Squirrel Slam”)
So appealing to the murderous white trash
(Shoot, boom, bam)
The dominant religion’s Evangelical Barbarism
Which Neanderthals wear like a badge

And still, they kill, for thrills
For spiritual and financial reward
They pray to slay for pay
Dead squirrels mean the hordes have shot and scored

The chance to kill for guns and cash
(“Squirrel Slam”)
So appealing to the murderous white trash
(Shoot, boom, bam)
The dominant religion’s Evangelical Barbarism
Which Neanderthals wear like a badge

They follow the playbook of the drooling class
Unrepentant Nazis who have a blast
Passing cretinism and the ammunition
Hosting family-friendly killing competitions
Activists draw attention to the Holleycaust
Knuckle-draggers lack compassion, don’t see the cost

The chance to kill for guns and cash
(“Squirrel Slam”)
So appealing to the murderous white trash
(Shoot, boom, bam)
The dominant religion’s Evangelical Barbarism
Which Neanderthals wear like a badge

Music and lyrics by David Brensilver, arranged with Mike Frishman. Performed by Monty Gelstein and his Badass Band of Brutes. Recorded and engineered by Mike Frishman at GeraMi Production Studio, Norwich, Conn.

37 Comments

  1. Mark wrote:

    Frank Zappa would be proud.

    Monday, February 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink
  2. Que wrote:

    I can’t believe the hatred and intolerance being displayed against hunters by the animal rights and militant vegan activists.

    Monday, February 17, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  3. Maggie wrote:

    You should be ashamed of yourself, comparing a small community’s hunting event to the Holocaust? And comparing the hunters, village residents and event supporter to Nazis? That’s crossing a line!

    Monday, February 17, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink
  4. Justin wrote:

    Just for this crap im going out and killing as many squirrels as possible today!

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink
  5. lori wrote:

    How ignorant!! How is this any different than say, a fishing Derby? Squirrels are an over populated species and often carry disease. They also raid bird feeders that are meant for, you got it, birds! All I can think to say is “Happy hunting Holley”

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
  6. bruce gill wrote:

    I hunt myself… been known to kill a squirrel or two, but you only take what you need and leave the rest. This is unethical hunting!

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
  7. Laura Heidrich wrote:

    Thanks for the publicity last year there were only 500 tickets printed but then with all the treehugger nonsense they doubled it to 1000. This year they sold a 1000 now with this drivel maybe we can sell 2000. Keep spewing your bull everytime you do it brings more ticket sales. I hope you play that garbage all over maybe we can get 5000 sold! Great news for the fire department.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink
  8. grampa bob wrote:

    people bleeding heart activist do not realize the importance of hunting the hunters keep down the population of critters in the world with out population control is how we (hunters) keep down and control population but also diseases such as RABIES DISTEMPER AND STARVATION

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink
  9. JoAnn Doud wrote:

    @ QUE : I can’t believe the hatred and intolerance and murder being displayed against innocent wildlife by mindless gun and money worshippers.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink
  10. Sean Jacobson wrote:

    You sir, have clearly never had to deal with squirrels building nests in your storage boxes and chewing up your hammock.
    But beyond that, as other commentators have noted, how dare you compare squirrel hunting to the Holocaust?? You seem like a decent rhymer — why not use your talent to address actual oppression, rather than for bigotry against small-town Americans?

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink
  11. Kimberly wrote:

    I’m amazed that anyone in this day and age would be so ignorant as to draw a comparison between the holocaust and squirrel hunting. How appalling and so very out of touch with reality.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink
  12. Meg wrote:

    Oh my goodness “Friends of Animals” are ignorant assholes. It is hunting season for god’s sake! It is completely legal to hunt and eat squirrel. And these animals are dying a lot more humanely than the cows did that were used to make your cheeseburger you got at McDonald’s last week. And let me guess, the “Friends of Animals” people are city slickers. Talk about ignorance! You have no clue what type of lifestyle us “country bumbkins” live. We don’t go parading around in your cities telling you how to live your lives! and trust me, we have our own opinions about you. Comparing squirrel hunting to the Holocaust? Really? You’ve hit a new low and should be ashamed. You are disgusting.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink
  13. randy kimmel wrote:

    How old are you people ? I will kill many squirrel while humming your ridiculous song. No laws are being broken and its for a good cause. Get over it there are bigger problems in our country. Cuomo must go!!!

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
  14. Whitetrashproud wrote:

    The only thing friends of animals have accomplished in Holley ny is giveing a few law enforcement officers extra paid overtime

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
  15. Tanya wrote:

    How can any human compare hunting to the Holocaust. Shame on you. These animals are not going in the garbage. They are cooked, or frozen for meals. We are sorry you do not agree with our way of life but when you purchase meat it did not just die by itself. We farm, hunt, fish, ride 4-wheelers,snowmobiles and much more with the outdoors. I myself am very proud to call the people here my friends

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink
  16. Melissa wrote:

    I don’t appreciate this song. I’m from Holley and I don’t like the squirrel slam, so I don’t appreciate how the song clumps everyone from Holley together. Not everyone from Holley agrees with the squirrel slam. And the Nazis reference is uncalled for. You want people on your side, use logic and facts. Don’t insult a whole town of people,especially if some agree with you.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
  17. Woodchuck wrote:

    Can’t wait to see the lawsuits filed against Friends of Animals, Edita Birnkrant, David Brensilver,and all the others for this mess. Just show’s your true colors doing this.
    Just to give you a little fact on the Holley Squirrel Slam. Friends of Animals or Edita Birnkrant NEVER offered the Holley Fire Dept any dollar amount. But it’s okay cause it’s a SALE OUT. Good Luck to all the Hunters.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink
  18. L. Nickel wrote:

    Any person that would compare a squirrel hunting contest to what the Nazi’s did in W.W.II is out of touch with reality. You make me ill. Wasn’t making death threats and hoping the children of Holley will die in hunting accidents enough for you? Shame on you and the FoA.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Permalink
  19. john wrote:

    You assume all who are against the mentality that approves and participates in events such as these are “city slickers” unfamiliar with what constitutes rural living or subsistence hunting.

    Or for that matter, that all who oppose it are non-hunters.

    You are sadly mistaken.

    Any subsistence hunter would be amused (and subsequently, disgusted) with your feeble attempts to justify and rationalize your behavior under the guise of preserving hunters rights.

    Subsistence hunting doesn’t necessitate the devaluing of what’s being hunted through the use of derogatory nomenclature (“tree rat,” “lowly rodent” etc.—and yet you eat them???) or unsubstantiated vilification (they’re rabid, they cause house fires, the population needs to be controlled through human intervention etc.).

    A subsistence hunter’s intention is not to disrespect the hunted, either before or after the kill. On the contrary, there exists a certain degree of respect and even gratitude for the bounty they provide. Perhaps before you swing those dead carcasses over your heads in order to taunt those against what you’re doing, you might want to at least take a moment and consider the possibility you’re not coming off terribly well to the rest of the world (whether they subsistence hunt or not). And make no mistake—thanks to the power of social media (and news media in general), the rest of the world is definitely paying attention

    Truth of the matter is, even if the animal served no useful purpose—if the meat was inedible, if there were no uses for the hide/tail, if the animal posed no threat whatsoever insofar as nuisane is concerned, if supposed population control was a non-issue …

    It wouldn’t matter in the least. You’d still want to kill them.

    Because bottom line is, this isn’t about subsistence hunting or nuisance abatement or population control, is it?

    So please, at least have the courage to refer to what you’re going by it’s proper name.

    Gleeful xtermination for the sheer enjoyment of it.

    And by all means, even though your Fire Department seems to have caught on (shown by the lack of ANY mention of this year’s event), it seems the rest of you have yet come to the realization that what you’re doing (and how you’re doing it) will ultimately be the cause of the discontinuation of this sort of thing.

    And it won’t be due to people like me or the protestors or the animal activists.

    In the end, the hand that holds the gun that pulls the trigger that fires the bullet that blows the brains out of and finally puts an end to this sort of nonsense will be your own.

    You thumb your nose at the world, and the world will indeed take notice. And when the world has had enough (and sooner or later, I assure you, it will), whether it be this year or next year or the year after that, the world will say “enough.”

    And when they say it, they’ll say it loud enough so politicians and lawmakers will have no choice but to listen.

    Enjoy it while it lasts.

    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
  20. Deanna wrote:

    Lol it’s time to get over yourselves people. Holley does this every year to support the fire company and whatever is shot and killed after being judged is made up and FED to people. NOTHING goes to waste. The more publicity my town gets the more tickets we sell…so tree huggers keep ranting, you’re only secondhand killing.btw this song sucks major ass. EXTREMELY TONE DEF, repetitive and computer made music..white trash lies here my friends…

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 1:49 am | Permalink
  21. L. Nickel wrote:

    Well John perhaps you should do a little more research before you spout off. Friends of Animal’s is actually using the squirrel hunt to open up the issue about gun control and all hunting. You should really read what they post on their site.
    They didn’t ask for this attention, in fact 2013 was slated to be the last slam because ticket sales were so low. The FoA are directly responsible for the event selling out. They knew this fact and still decided to use Holley to raise awareness to all hunting competition’s (again read). Ignoring other squirrel hunting contest’s held in the south that is for youth only, lasting a week long. In fact the picture they use of the young man holding up dead squirrels is from the hunt there and not from the slam in Holley…but you probably don’t want to hear the truth, just like ALL animal activist’s. Fact is I seriously doubt you’re even a hunter. I have seen how low activist’s will stoop to promote their own agenda.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
  22. john wrote:

    I never said I was a hunter, did I? I do have friends who are, though (and they laugh at the preposterous idea you try to promote this event and others like it as being related to subsistence hunting). That being said, while I don’t hunt, I certainly don’t fall under the “city slicker” classification either. I’d be willing to bet I spend more time in the woods than most of you do.

    So why not answer my question then?

    If you couldn’t eat the meat, if the hide/tail served no useful purpose, if there was no threat of nuisance, if their population numbers (not that I think you know what they are, but still …) were optimum, would you still hunt and kill them?

    Is so, why?

    That’s what this is really all about.

    It’s not about guns or your Second Amendment rights, it’s not about feeding the hungry, it’s not even about squirrels …

    It’s about the fact you enjoy taking the life of another creature you invalidate, devalue, vilify and then deem lower than yourself to the point where its life value is worth little more than prize redemption in a killing contest.

    Not because you’re hungry or because you’re the victim of encroachment or because you’re particularly conservationally-minded or that you need that prize …

    You do it because you think it’s fun.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink
  23. L. Nickel wrote:

    Yes John after reading your long post I realize you are no hunter, I apologize for that mistake. I should have known you were “one of them”.
    They don’t claim the hunt is subsistence hunting that I have ever seen. Although some do take them home to eat, the squirrels that aren’t taken home to be used are picked up later by a local area man who does use the meat to feed his family. And I am not from Holley N.Y. either, nor am I a hunter, never have, never will. I will remind you that it’s squirrel hunting season all over the US, and it ends some time around the end of the month. Each day any hunter can kill up to 5 or 6, every single day until the season ends. Last year less than 100 squirrel’s were hunted at the slam.
    I live in a city of just over 1 million and I can tell you that squirrel’s have become a real problem here.

    Rural fire department’s respond to many fires that are caused by squirrel’s who like to chew on things to keep their teeth sharp “Squirrels are a serious fire hazard when they break into buildings. They often treat exposed power cables as tree branches, and gnaw on the electrical insulation. The resulting exposed conductors can short out, causing a fire.”
    I don’t make these things up, you only have to do some research to find this out. And if you and your friends care so much about the squirrel population and their death’s, then don’t drive. It is estimated that more urban squirrels die on the road’s than by any other means.

    My objection to the FoA and her supports are based on the lies she has told and the death threats her supporters issue. To value the life of a squirrel over a human’s is just wrong, there is NO excuse to explain that. Telling the folks of Holley that they hope their children will die in hunting accidents and that they are raising future serial killers goes way past the issue of being a vegan, animal rights activist or anything else they or you claim to be.

    And you wonder why these people decided to stand up and defend their right’s after all that was done to them? I don’t wonder at all.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
  24. Patty wrote:

    This guy is a complete idiot…so is whoever wrote this song…seriously ignorant

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink
  25. Marisa wrote:

    Wow. Animal activists don’t like hunters? What a revelation that was, Que. The hunters, and I use that term sarcastically, who are here beating their chests in agony about how offended they are by a song need to look in the mirror. What the hell are you supporting? The bad publicity the town of Holley and their fire department receives may initially increase tickets sales, but that same publicity helps those who are opposed to this hillbilly event much more. Remember, you hunters are in the minority and as soon as more of the majority discovers your sick little squirrel slam, laws will be passed to outlaw killing contests easily. You are all so angry now because you see it coming and you know it’s true. Oh, and just so you know, all the people opposed are not “city slickers”, actually most of them are not. I also know that a good amount of your proceeds from the slam has to pay for security. That seems a bit counterproductive. Admit it now, it’s not really just about fundraising, it’s the fact that you enjoy killing animals. Oh, and just for the record, squirrels do not carry rabies.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink
  26. L. Nickel wrote:

    Last year’s slam still raised about 6 grand after all the expense’s. You’re just mad because you haven’t yet been able to force your ideal’s onto the rest of the world. Good luck with that. About the only fact you did get right is that rarely do squirrel’s ever get the rabies virus or spread it to humans.
    Sadly you can’t see how wrong it is to use what happened in the Holocaust as an analogy over the hunting of squirrel’s. 9 million Jew’s murdered, 100 or so squirrel’s hunted…figure it out.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink
  27. Marisa wrote:

    Little girl, we have just started. Thank you for the good luck wishes! I’m not mad at all, although I do think the lot of you are quite sad and pathetic. You haven’t a clue what my ideals are. Oh, and you might want to get that apostrophe problem of yours fixed.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink
  28. L. Nickel wrote:

    Marisa, nobody in Holley or the rest of the world really care’s what you think. Just like I don’t really care if you like my apostrophe use or not. You have not even captured 1% of the attention in N.Y., never mind the rest of world. I have a pretty good idea what your ideals are based on what you type. And you’re welcome!

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
  29. Marisa wrote:

    Acting as though you have any insight about what the “rest of the world” knows or thinks is ridiculous and delusional. Furthermore, unless you have personally asked every citizen in Holley if they care what I think, you have no basis to make such a statement either. I love people who throw out percentages that they’ve pulled out of their ass. They are not based in any fact, just like the excuses made for continuing the killing contest.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  30. L.Nickel wrote:

    Rather hypocritical of you to make that statement considering your blanket statement saying “you hunters are in the minority and as soon as more of the majority discovers your sick little squirrel slam, laws will be passed to outlaw killing contests easily” Or have you personally spoken to everyone of them? The estimated population of N.Y. is about 20 million, based on the number of protesters expected, signatures on petitions, and facebook pages that support your agenda and hostility towards Holley, it’s not hard to figure out. As research has shown “Vegans dominate the web in relation to animal rights groups. However objective psychological research shows that a large number of animal rights activists are driven to obsession by “Borderline Personality Disorder” or other disorders.” You are a shining example of that fact. Still your lack of compassion for what the real Holocaust was and the fact this song makes appalling analogy to a squirrel killing contest says more about you then me. I feel sorry for you because you have more empathy for a rodent than for human life. God bless!

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm | Permalink
  31. Marisa wrote:

    Do you honestly believe the majority of people in the United States are hunters? I certainly would have provided the evidence, but I thought it was common knowledge that the majority are not hunters. Since you seem to be clueless, according the the US Fish & Wildlife Service, 12.5 million people over the age of 16 have hunted, according to the last available research in 2006. The US Census Bureau cites the population in 2013 as 316,128,839. Allowing for a 23.5% decrease for those under the age of 18, it still brings the total population of the United States to over 300,000,000. Let me see, there are 300 million people, and only 12.5 million hunt. Clearly, non-hunters are in the majority. I don’t have to speak to every person individually. The government records are there. Apparently, you also believe that the movement to stop contest killings exists on a few Facebook pages alone? I guess it never occurred to you that there are many private Facebook pages, just for starters. You don’t seem to have a grasp on the American legal system either. Now that you have diagnosed me, can I surmise that you are an expert on Borderline Personality Disorders, and you can provide the name of the university where you received your degree? Finding one “objective” article, on the internet does not make one an expert, nor does it make that article true. This whole “lack of compassion” assessment really has me intrigued. Let me see, because the word holocaust was used, you immediately have assumed that it was a reference to Shoah. The word holocaust was around for hundreds of years prior to WWII, and the original Greek word from where is came means animal sacrifice (usually by fire). Don’t feel sorry for me. I’m not the one caught up in a web of ignorance. I have worked my whole life to ease the suffering of human beings, and also animals. The two are not mutually exclusive and I was correct when I stated earlier that you have no clue what my ideals are. I believe I’ve reached my daily limit of exposure to troglodytes.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink
  32. L.Nickel wrote:

    Well thankfully most people can read and will know how much you have twisted this entire conversation. But you are far to angry and unconnected to reality for me to continue this with you. Good luck with your life, try not to allow your obsession to destroy it.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink
  33. George Coniglio wrote:

    BRAVO! This song nails it! Let’s set our properties with common sense and long term impact. Which is worst a song that offends a few or a Contest which encourages CHILDREN to kill small defenseless animals for fun and prizes? What are these Fire Dept. officials teaching children? Children are bombarded with violence in movies, videos games, and now a Hunt for squirrels. Fire Dept’s are know for saving animals not engaging in this disgusting contest. They were offered donations, but they are determined to have this contests happen at all costs. They won’t discuss, they won’t met at the table and they treated last year’s protesters with violence. They must hate America because the protest is our RIGHT! What primitive people run this Town! What offensive is it to run a contest that is a form of child abuse? So if this song offends you… too freaking bad.

    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink
  34. john wrote:

    ‘Yes John after reading your long post I realize you are no hunter, I apologize for that mistake. I should have known you were ‘one of them.’ ”

    “… nor am I a hunter, never have, never will.”

    So, going by the your (imo, rather convoluted)logic, you must be “one of them” as well, no?

    I am not against legitimate hunting. I am not against responsible gun ownership. And to the best of my knowledge, I’ve never issued a death threat against anyone. So perhaps you might want to hold off on thinking you know who I am or what I’m about. In turn, I’ll try to follow my own advice as well.

    As far as I’m concerned, both sides of this argument are guilty of grossly stereotyping their opposition to the point where any kind of meaningful dialog is unlikely to ever occur. Your assessment of who I am (simply based on the fact I don’t hunt and am against killing for prizes) is a prime example. And, truth be told, my assuming you would participate in this sort of thing is as well.

    I cringe when I see the insults being hurled by both sides towards the other. Calling someone a backwoods, uneducated hillbilly based on where they live can wrongly categorize all those living in a rural environment. By the same token, so does assuming everyone who doesn’t is a cluelessly soft “city slicker.”

    I would strongly suggest, however, that if anyone, regardless of what they’re for and what they’re against, doesn’t wish to be stereotyped, they might want to at the very least try and not act the part.

    P.S. I am familiar with fire statistics. Google anything regarding the primary causes of home fires in the United States, and you’ll discover that fires due to rodent encroachment are such a small percentage that most times they aren’t even mentioned.

    Certainly not enough to try and justify a genocidal war on an entire species, I don’t think.

    “Whenever and wherever men have engaged in the mindless slaughter of animals (including other men), they have often attempted to justify their acts by attributing the most vicious or revolting qualities to those they would destory; and the less reason there is for the slaughter, the greater the campaign for vilification.”
    —Farley Mowat

    Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink
  35. April B wrote:

    Supporters of this killing free-for- all… please do not say that ALL Holley residents are for this. We’re not. Most hunting friends I know say you give hunting a bad name. REAL hunters do not stuff their kill in their pockets or strap it to their vehicles and run up and down the road with it. (REAL hunters discretely entered the building far away from protesters last year.) FOA has no control over what people do when they hear about such “contests”. We all know that some of the squirels were shot outside of Holley boundaries or in fields well away from houses and wiring. I guess the best way to convince me that it was to “curtail pesky rodents” would be to have the hunt in the village where the “damage” supposedly is done and not miles away. While I would NEVER endorse such a thing I hope everyone on both sides can see that someone rampant with angry words does not always speak for the whole group.

    Friday, February 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink
  36. Jim Henchen wrote:

    This song was sung at a very low tone with all five protesters at the top of their voice get a life and a real cause

    Sunday, February 23, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink
  37. Aaron wrote:

    Hey guys I’m a local taxidermist from Holley.I had a display up at this year’s squirrel slam and gained a number of new customers from it. I just wanted to say thank you for all the publicity that you have provided for this event. Can’t wait till next year!

    Sunday, March 2, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*